Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Reflection on my teaching practice

I have ended my teaching practice on 21 October 2011. This is my reflection on my teaching...
Passion towards teaching hard to maintain yet it plants in inner heart.

            After three months of teaching life in S.M.K. Bandar Utama Damansara 3, my passion towards teaching went ups and downs for several times. The passion moved down or decreased when my students did not listen to me or uttered and gave negative response during lesson. The passion moved up and increased when my supervisor, Datin Sivamani or my mentor, Pn. Rozita gave me positive comments and encouragements. However, towards the end of this teaching practice, I am sure that my passion towards teaching is still in me. I will continue to walk on this path, the route to guide younger generation in both academic and mentally.

Schools, Administration and Teachers
           
            I was lucky enough to be elected to teach in S.M.K. Bandar Utama Damansara 3 as this is one of the elite schools in Petaling Jaya area. The school system is undeniably well-organized from top to bottom. Once I stepped into this school, I was brought away by the well-planned and beautiful school compound which consisted of pond, Japanese garden, proverbs and sayings on the wall as well as beautiful mural are all around the school. The field is extremely big and the classrooms are well-equipped with infrastructures. Teachers here are nice and friendly. They always help us in anything which we do not understand or do not know. It was definitely a great experience to work together with them. The headmaster and all senior assistants were great and taught me a lot of things too. I appreciated their kindness which assisted me throughout this teaching practice. My mentor, Pn. Rozita is great too. She guided me with great passion and helped me to overcome a lot of obstacles and problems during this period. I am really glad to have her to guide me to go through this tough time in this school.

Planning and teaching not as ideal as we did in Stimulated Teaching

            I taught as a temporary teacher before I entered university to further my study and I knew well the condition in school. Therefore, I was well-prepared for the challenges and obstacles. However, it was harder than what I imagined. The first week of teaching was full of mistakes and obstacles, my passion and confidence towards teaching drops drastically during the first week. I used my weekend to think how to improve and how to ensure my students have a great and happy English lesson. Things started to go well starting from the second week. I started to understand that students need more time to complete a task. If we think that they need 10 minutes to complete a task, in fact, they need 20 minutes to finish it. Therefore, I started to know how to allocate my time wisely without wasting any minutes and yet students managed to participate in the activity happily. I truly wish that my students learn something for these three months. I really hope so.

Students – Naughty yet Adorable

            Form 1 Mawar and 1 Ixora are the classes that I was teaching for these three months. I am glad to have these two classes as they are the top classes where students have great academic achievement. They could speak English very fluently and they understand English very well. I was quite stress at first when I got these two classes as I do not have a good command of English. However, the cuteness of these children helped me to improve myself and finish my teaching practice. They always cooperate with me and work with me in every lesson. No matter how, they are still the best students I ever have. Thanks to these naughty yet adorable monkeys. I love them. I guess I will miss them badly after finishing this teaching practice.

The education system

            During this teaching practice, I was quite upset with the education system we have. I have two students who are very creative and they have great writing skill. I enjoyed reading their essay every time they handed in their essay. However, they were too creative until the education system could not accept it and according to my mentor, their essay were out of topic and could not score in examination. I was very surprise. I thought they deserved higher marks than what she suggested me to give. This is our education system which was fixed years ago and I know that I cannot do anything except following it. I really hope that one day I could do something to make a change in order to help these younger generations.

The Fruitful Ending




            After three months of teaching practice, I am happy and glad that I went through all these ups and downs happily and successfully. I learned a lot throughout this process where I gained a lot of useful and great experience during this period. I would like to express my greatest appreciation to my supervisor, Datin Sivamani, my mentor, Pn.Rozita, S.M.K.Bandar Utama Damansara 3, my students, my parents who supported me financially and mentally as well as my friends. I believe I will bring forward this passion until my real teaching life after I graduate on October next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment