Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mr.Khoo, the walking Chemistry encyclopedia's retirement.

Today, 30 June, 2011, a very special day. Why is it so special? Hmm...let's have a quick guess. My birthday? Nah..It’s too early. My birthday is on 7 August. hehe..Just to remind some people who might forget. Haha...Well, back to the main point. Why this day so special? Hmm…I mentioned it in my title of this blog. Bingo! It’s our beloved Chemistry teacher, Mr.Khoo’s retirement.

Mr. Khoo is the best Chemistry teacher I ever meet in my life. Can you imagine any teacher going into class without any reference book but only with a piece of marker pen and a duster and started to write out all the notes and teach non-stop until the end of the class? Yes, there is one here. Our beloved Mr.Khoo Tian Chai. He is really great in teaching. We always called him “Tin Choi Gor”. He is really brilliant like Thomas Edison. I was under his guidance since I was in Form 4 until I finished my secondary study. When I first went to his tuition class, I was amazed with his great joking talent. I have never thought of a Chemistry teacher can be so funny and joke a lot. May be most of my science teachers were just too boring for me. Mr. Khoo is their opposite. He joked a lot during classes yet managed to finish the entire syllabus on time and taught us a lot of extra knowledge. The most incredible thing is he had memorized everything in his mind, from Form 4 to upper sixth. His little head can enter so many things. I used to throw away what I have learned once I finish each exam and take them back when I need them. But he never forgets even one little detail of our syllabus. You can always ask him anything about Chemistry whenever you like and where ever you meet him. He can just answer you without referring to anything. That is why we named him as walking encyclopedia. Haha…

Not only good in Chemistry, Mr.Khoo is also the best husband and father for his family. He loves his wife so much. They were just too lovely and everyone will envy when looking at them. He has never failed to accompany his wife to the market during weekend morning. I still remember the funniest conversation between Mr.Khoo and me when we met in the market one morning. “Sir, where is your girlfriend?” “I am not so sure too. But I will stand here and she knows where to find me.” This is how he answered me and we continued, “Sir, your hair become darker now, you look so young lah…” “Haha…I just drowned in the drain few days ago. My girlfriend pushed me in. She asked me to dye my hair so that I look younger. I don’t want to dye it black, yet she forced me.” See, how lovely this old couple is. Haha… Even though he said he did not want to dye his hair, he did it just to make sure his girlfriend has a handsome and young boyfriend. Haha… They are just too cute and lovely I shall say. How I hope I can find my own partner and have such life in the future. I mentioned earlier, he is a great father to his two sons and daughter as well. Yes, he is definitely a great father to them. You can see that he worked very hard by giving tuition and teaching in school just to support his family and for his children education fees. Luckily, both his sons graduated with flying colour and have great carrier. I guess that’s what Mr.Khoo wish to see and what he wants his sons to have now would be a stable carrier and form their own family. Am I right? Mr.Khoo? haha… His daughter is great as well though she is a little bit shy. She is my sister’s friend and I did talk to her before. She is just too shy to communicate. However, she is good in her study. No worry Mr.Khoo, she will be as talkative as me one day if you send her to my “training centre”. Haha…

After serving in S.M.K.Horley Methodist for twenty-two years since year 1989, today is his grand retirement. I knew it earlier and planned to go for it. I have tried to gather my classmates so that we can go to his retirement together, but I failed to gather all and not even to get a present from our class to Mr.Khoo. Sorry Mr.Khoo, I am not a good monitor though. Today, I managed to get three of my classmates, Jenq Horng, Ching Yin and Kah Yee to accompany me to this grand ceremony. Some of my friends, such as Sin Yee, Peck Geok and Lay Ying were eagerly wanted to attend yet they were busy with internship and interview for their future carrier. So, they just asked me to buy a present on behalf of them and send to Mr.Khoo and I bought a fruit basket as the present. I wrapped it myself. This is the first ever time I wrap a hamper basket. Hmm..Hope it was not too bad. Jenq Horng, Kah Yee, Ching Yin and I reached Horley at around 9.45a.m. We managed to catch up with Mr.Khoo and Mr.Wong before they have to go and prepare for the ceremony later on in the staff room. Mr. Khoo was so happy and excited but Mr.Wong seems like quite sad. May be it is because after today, there will less one people to chit chat with him and blow water with him in the staff room. My brother told me that Mr. Wong almost cried. Hmm…sir, don’t feel so sad. I believe that you still can call Mr.Khoo out and dine together then can continue to blow water lo. Haha… Mr.Khoo said that Mr.Yeang was just too kind by lending his Mercedez and decorated it like a bridal car then came to his house this morning and brought him to Horley. Mr.Khoo said he was surprised when he was a so called bridal car in front of his house. He felt like he is the bridegroom today. Haha…it’s true, sir, today you really looked great, just like a bridegroom.


The four representatives from 7B1 2007


Picture taken with Mr.Khoo and his GF.

I am glad that I managed to attend to Mr.Khoo’s retirement. Today only I knew that I was following his footsteps. Why do I say so? Mr.Khoo started off his primary education in S.J.K.(C) San Min and continued his secondary education in S.M.J.K. San Min then later on had his form sixth in S.M.K. Horley Methodist which provided him the chance to go into tertiary education in Universiti of Malaya. It’s exactly the same as mine. Haha… Today we also managed to see his handsome photo which he took when he was 29. Oh My Buddha, he was so handsome that time. Sorry sir, it is the truth. Haha…
My brother, Kai Quan, as the students’ representative delivered his speech during this auspicious ceremony. He was just steady yet there is still room for improvement. I always believe my siblings can do better than me and they have proven what I said is correct. I do hope he could excel well in his academic and bring glory back to our home in the future. I am sure he can if he can work harder.

My brother while giving speech. ^^

When all the students went to the stage and present little souvenirs to Mr.Khoo, it was so touching. Some ex-students purposely came back just to attend this retirement. We could see that Mr.Khoo is really a great teacher where everyone respect and remember even after years. It is the truth that I could not find another teacher like him when I further my study in any place. He is really dedicated and he has a great passion in teaching. He is my great role model in my future carrier. I hope I could be like him when I go to teach in school later. Thank sir; I will try my best in my future to become a good teacher. That’s my promise to you and me.


Younger gang of Mr.Khoo's students who attended the ceremony.

Last but not least, I would like to wish him a great retirement and hope that he could have great time after retirement. I wish Mr.Khoo will have a healthy and happy life after retirement with his family, friends and students. HAPPY RETIREMENT, Sir.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kai Chur!

    I am also a student of Mr. Khoo. Really like the article that you wrote to him. Just wondering if you have Mr. Khoo's email address? I was visiting him during Chinese New Year and he gave his email address to me. But I lost it now! I will appreciate very much if you can help me with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry for replying late. I don't have his email. But you could search him in facebook. His name is Khoo Tian Chai. Just search and see. If can't do drop me an e-mail at lazygalkc@gmail.com I will help you to find out. Thanks.

      Delete